Select language

Hazardous waste

With the term “hazardous waste” we define the substances which are characterized as toxic, explosive, flammable, carcinogenic, radioactive, irritant mutagens as well as every substance which may cause alterations to water (surface or groundwater) air or land.

Τhe main categories of hazardous wastes are:

- Industrial waste (indicatively from the sectors of metallurgy, crude oil refining, production of chemical products and pesticides etc)
- Waste from Health Care Units 
- Used lubricant oils/ engine oils 
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls and και polychlorinated terphnenyls (PCB/PCT)
- Lead-acid accumulators and batteries

The management of hazardous waste is a major problem in our country partly because of their hazardous nature and because of inadequate infrastructure for safe management. According to the Ministry of Environment (2004) 333,000 tons of hazardous waste are produced annually of which 205,000 (62%) tonnes undergoes disposal (D) while the remaining 128,000 (38%) undergoes recovery (R). Furthermore, around 600,000 tons are stored in production areas (industry) which poses serious potential risks.

The existing legislative framework for the effective management of hazardous waste incorporates the provisions of the special Community legislation into national law.

This framework includes the following Joint Ministerial Decisions (JMD):

• JMD 13588/725/2006 (Οfficial Gazette 383/Β) defines the general framework for managing and has replaced the previous legislation (JMD 19396/1546/1997),

• JMD 24944/1159/2006 (Οfficial Gazette 791/Β), confirming the general technical specifications and management

• JMD 8668/2007 (Οfficial Gazette 287/Β), approving the National Plan management of hazardous waste.

This framework has recently been updated and supplemented by Law 4042/2012, delegated whom JMD 146163/2012 «Measures and conditions for the management of waste from Health Care Units». The framework of the requirements on the key issues of hazardous waste management (obligations, licensing, responsibilities etc) is based on the attribution of exclusive responsibility for infrastructure for the management of hazardous waste to their producers, in accordance with the principle “the polluter pays”. Particular emphasis is given to the use of EE codes both on waste (six digit codes European Waste Catalogue) as well as for the disposal (D codes) and valorization (R codes) services.

ANSY S.A. has implemented and operates a MICROSOFT DYNAMICS NAV solution and a MICROSOFT DYNAMICS CRM solution